Sunday, October 16, 2011

30 days later

Yesterday marked 30 days as a vegan :)

This has been an interesting and rewarding experiment. It started with the Reboot Program of juicing and veggies/fruit only for 15 days and the last 15 days has been incorporating grains, nuts and legumes. I have REALLY liked the last half of the month... food with more staying power!

With the last additions, weight loss has slowed from the extremes that happened the first 2 weeks but that was to be expected.
Total for the month is 18lbs :D
More importantly than the weight loss is my blood pressure. It is holding steady at 20 points down! I'm so happy about that! I really was very worried since heart issues run on both sides of my family and I'm happy to say that I'm on the road to a healthier existence. Hopefully too much damage hasn't already been done.

One thing I have discovered is that there are many options for vegan eating... healthy and unhealthy. ugh. I'm reading labels to avoid meat products, animal byproducts and dairy of any sort and I've found that there are several things that don't have all that stuff in them but contain a bunch of other crap that I can't pronounce. I need to be more vigilant in not exchanging 'good' foods with 'convenient' food. I'm a pretty good cook and I actually enjoy it so I just need to exercise more discipline so I don't head down a slippery slope.

My house has enough candy in it for 2 Halloweens. lol. I don't struggle too hard avoiding candy but there are chips here. I sure love crunchy chips. Did you know that Fritos have 3 ingredients? Corn, corn oil & salt.Empty calories, basically no nutritional value & yet I have let myself indulge. This is where I need to be more disciplined. It's not that big of a deal but some days are easier to keep on track than others.

Over the next couple of months of holidays I'm projecting that there will be some challenges. Obviously turkey isn't going to happen on Thanksgiving and that will be different so if any of you have cool recipes that you would like to share, I will be more than open to trying them out. I don't want to feel that sense of deprivation even though I can counter it with all the benefits that I'm receiving and the extended life I will get to live... in the moment where I'm smelling super tasty stuff and watching people eat, I could use something tasty for myself to make others jealous with :P

Okay... enough rambling from me. I really should be studying for a test but umm... no motivation! It's sure been hard maintaining any kind of interest in my classes with a new baby in the house and all the rabble rousing from the toddler. I'll make do, just gotta buckle down :]

Thank you to all my cheerleaders! You have been monumental in me staying the course. Seriously, you have no idea how your kind words have helped me pull through a challenging situation with good choices. I hope I'm making it worth your while :)


No comments:

Post a Comment