Thursday, November 10, 2011

Naughty November

Hello my loyal followers... I'm alive and I'm still vegan :)
Sorry I have been absent from the blogging world. I haven't really felt like I've had much to say although that probably means I should have been saying something. Silence is isolating.

The family is doing well. We are all adjusting to having a newborn in the house and it's been such a blessing. Gosh, what is it that makes babies just so cute? Love, love, love!
Unfortunately, everyone (but me) has been sick with a cold for nearly 3 weeks. ugh. I'll chalk up my escape from illness to my extreme vegetable intake :P

So Halloween has come and gone and I made it through with 5 pieces of candy corn and a vegan pizza. lol. We had so much fun trick or treating and we have enough candy in the house that we could have people treating at our house for months to come. Good grief!

With success over Halloween, I'm trying to keep positive about Thanksgiving. I don't want to be naughty in November because that will make being good during Christmas a real bitch! lol. Problem is, I really do like turkey and have actually toyed with the idea that I could give myself a little reprieve and eat some turkey but after all absence of meat and dairy for nearly 2 months I'm a little afraid that I'll just get sick. Right now I am looking into Tofurkey... hmm... I'll keep you posted. lol

Historically November is soooo not my month.
With the exception of Thanksgiving, it seems as though the universe aligns in such a way that odd, random and typically awful things happen. There is no definitive pattern although one incident in particular has marked me for life physically and emotionally.

Yes... I'm talking about the robbery. Feel free to quit reading now if you wish-- you can pick up the rest of the reading closer to the bottom where I get back to my vegan journey ;)

On the 13th it will be six years since I was robbed at work. I know there's no timeline for being "all better" but I wish that some things weren't so daunting... like the dark. I mean heck, the robbery was in the morning. Why do I have to be afraid of November nights? Ugh.

Anyway, along with the random things to fear, I deal with the physical pain daily and unless by some miracle all my cells are replaced and rejuvenated (reading a paranormal book about that right now, lol) then the likeliness is that I will deal with the chronic pain indefinitely. Some days are better than others and stress tends to make the inflammation flare up so November's anxiety keeps me popping ibuprofen like candy and of course there's a little more consumption of the happy pills ;)

So... what exactly does all of this have to do with my vegan journey?
I'm having a hard time keeping strong with my food choices. There hasn't been any slipping as of yet and I don't imagine there will be. It's just a mental thing that plagues me when I'm feeling a little down.
I'm running an extended experiment to see if the food choices help alleviate the physical pain and more importantly, help keep the depression and anxiety on the low side of the spectrum so I absolutely need to stay strong.
I'm doing better this year than last but the jury is out as to what the reasoning might be. Maybe I'm just coping better this year due to more distraction (Logan and Madison) or... maybe the anniversary date isn't here yet so perhaps I should reserve judgement. Either way, I'm not balking at the fact that so far November isn't as horrible as some years have been and I'm keeping hope that it continues to improve.

Hope you all are doing well and have a Happy Thanksgiving if I don't get back to blogging before then but I will try my best to be more consistent :)


No comments:

Post a Comment